26 Apr Lasik Evaluations
A Lasik evaluation is performed to determine whether an individual is a candidate for Lasik surgery and if yes, which procedure is better for the patient. Lasik surgery is a type of refractory surgery, which is performed to correct different types of eye issues. This type of surgery can also be done to reshape the cornea of a patient. The light travels through the cornea to the retina located at the back of the eye, allowing the person to see. The irregularly shaped cornea affects the vision of an individual, and this can be corrected by Lasik surgery.
There are a few tests that the patient has to undergo during the Lasik Evaluation to ensure they qualify for Lasik.
The Lasik evaluations are comprehensive and very important in determining whether the surgery has to be performed or not. However, not everyone qualifies for Lasik surgery. A candidate has to meet certain criteria to be a candidate for this procedure.
- An ideal candidate is the one who is at least 18 years of age and had been using glasses or contact lenses with stable power.
- The patient should not be suffering from any other disease, which may hinder the healing and recovery. The individual should be physically healthy and should not be suffering from diabetes, vascular diseases, etc.
- The candidate must be have enough corneal thickness as it plays an important role while determining if he is a good candidate.
- A candidate should not suffer from any eye disease like glaucoma, cataracts, and retinal or optical nerve diseases.
- A pregnant or nursing candidate is not eligible for Lasik surgery.
- The Lasik surgery candidate should not be suffering from dry eyes continuously.
- The Lasik evaluation will further help in determining whether surgery can be performed on an individual or not. It is unique to every candidate and is determined based on medical history, other health factors, medication and mental health.
This preoperative evaluation is considered to be an important ocular exam for determining if an individual is a good candidate for Lasik surgery. An individual might not be a candidate for the surgery today but he can be a candidate in future. The laser surgery technology is constantly getting enhanced so that more and more people can benefit from it.
However, not everyone can undergo Lasik surgery; like patients suffering from serious diseases that involve cornea and retina cannot be an ideal candidate for the surgery.
During the Lasik evaluation, various tests will be performed so that the doctor can get all the details needed. The cornea thickness will be determined, farsightedness and nearsightedness level will be known, and the shape of cornea and pupil size will be measured. After all the tests are performed, the ophthalmologist will also check the overall health and lifestyle of a patient. The results from all these tests will help in the determination of patient’s candidacy for the Lasik surgery.